The VulCAN (Copperforge USB CANbus Adapter) is a small, low-cost open-hardware USB to CAN adapter for automotive, industry, and hobby applications. It works with Linux, Windows, and Mac, and enumerates as either a virtual serial port, acting as a serial to CAN interface, or as a native CAN device.
We developed this device for internal testing of our CANbus motor controllers - alternatives had been out of stock for a long time, and we decided to make some upgrades. The VulCAN has been modernized with USB-C support, has improved durability and usability by removing jumpers with switches and adding transient voltage suppression, and we've added breakaway mounting holes so that it can be permanently mounted inside of test fixtures.
We are capable of bulk production. For large orders, or any other questions or comments, please contact us via email.
Designed and assembled in the USA!
USB-C 2.0 connector for compatibility with modern laptops and durability
- ESD/Transient voltage protection on USB and CAN interfaces
- Breakaway mounting holes for mounting inside devices and enclosures
- No pesky jumpers to misplace and lose!
- 4-pin screw terminal with 5V output (VUSB), GND, CANH, CANL
- Duplicate 4-pin 0.1" female header for prototyping convenience
- Button for entering the bootloader
- Switch for enabling/disabling termination
- Internal oscillator
- Simple cross-platform Python library and supporting software (cantact-app, Cangaroo)
- Serial-line CAN (slcan) interface for Linux, Windows, and Mac with CANtact firmware
- Native Linux and enhanced Windows functionality with candleLight firmware
It implements the CAN physical layer as defined in ISO 11898-2:2016 and SAE J2284-1 to SAE J2284-5. This implementation enables reliable communication on the CANbus at data rates up to 1 Mbit/s, meaning that it is compatible with all cars which use CAN high-speed.
The VulCAN is firmware-compatible with the CANtact and CANable projects, and uses one of two open-source firmware options: CANtact slcan-compatible (vulcan_fw_slcan) or candleLight (vulcan_fw_candlelight).
Note: The VulCAN is a CAN high-speed device. If you are interested in an equivalent CAN low-speed device, please let us know.
CANbus Wiring Guide
- VulCAN Firmware Options (serial slcan for all platforms, gs_usb candleLight Linux-only)
- VulCAN USB->CANbus Adapter
- Note: this package does NOT contain a USB-C cable
The VulCAN relies heavily on the open-source software contributions of Eric, Ethan, and many others to the cantact and candleLight firmware projects, cantact-app, canard, cangaroo, python-can, and many other awesome projects which are compatible with all of these devices.
Copperforge makes no warranty, representation, or guarantee regarding the information contained herein or the suitability of its products and services for any particular purpose, nor does Copperforge assume any liability whatsoever arising out of the application or use of the VulCAN. The VulCAN is used with the understanding that it relies on open-source software, subject to limited testing by nature, and should not be used in conjunction with mission-critical equipment or applications.
Copperforge and VulCAN are trademarks of Copperforge LLC (Copperforge). All third-party trademarks referenced by Copperforge remain the property of their respective owners. Copperforge's use of third-party trademarks does not indicate any relationship, sponsorship, or endorsement between Copperforge and the owners of these trademarks. Any references by Copperforge to third party trademarks is to identify the corresponding third party goods and/or services and shall be considered nominative fair use under the trademark law.